Dr. Omar Behery is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon specializing in minimally invasive hip and knee replacement as well as complex and revision hip and knee reconstruction. He is dedicated to providing his patients with the best available options to help them achieve their goals of pain relief and return to function.
A medical graduate of Rush Medical College, Dr. Behery went on to complete his orthopedic surgery residency training at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital (Hospital for Joint Diseases) in New York. He then further specialized in adult hip and knee joint reconstruction, by completing his fellowship training at the OrthoCarolina Hip and Knee Center, in Charlotte.
Through his affiliation with Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush, Dr. Behery is honored to serve all patients, as well as continue to expand his academic research in patient outcomes following primary and revision hip and knee replacement. He has numerous peer-reviewed publications, and podium presentations and is an active member of the American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS).
Dr. Behery highly values spending time with his patients. He is dedicated to being readily available to address their concerns and guide them to the best possible treatment option including physical therapy, joint injections, or surgery, to overcome their pain and loss of function. Given his extensive background of training, he is highly skilled in managing a complete range of hip and knee problems, regardless of complexity.
Meet Omar Behery, M.D., MPH
Dr. Behery specializes in minimally invasive techniques of joint replacement as well as complex and revision hip and knee reconstruction. He is committed to offering patients the best available options to achieve their goals of improvement in function and quality of life.
- Minimally invasive hip and knee surgery
- Direct anterior hip replacement
- Complex hip and knee joint reconstruction, revision joint replacement, infection surgery
- Repair and reconstruction of periprosthetic hip and knee fractures
- Robotic and computer navigation-assisted hip and knee replacement
- Partial knee replacement
- Clinical Outcomes of Complex and Revision Hip and Knee Arthroplasty
- Gait Biomechanics Following Joint Replacement
- Cementless Total Knee Arthroplasty
Education / Certifications
Bachelors of Science, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Masters of Public Health, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
Orthopedic Surgery, NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital / Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY
Adult Hip and Knee Reconstruction, OrthoCarolina Hip and Knee Center, Charlotte, NC
- Elmhurst Memorial Hospital
- Rush University Medical Center
- Rush Copley Medical Center
- Silver Cross Hospital
Orthopedic Surgery Residency
2020Ralph Lusskin Senior Resident Teaching Award, NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital
2019Executive Chief Resident, NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital
2019One of the 3 best Scientific Exhibits, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting
2018Sam A. Labib Fellow Travel Grant Award, Eastern Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting
2018Honorable Mention Video Theater Abstract, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting
2017Resident Research Grant NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital
2014Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Rush University
2014Gold Humanism Honor Society, Arnold P. Gold Foundation, Rush University
2012Dean’s Office Summer Research Fellowship, Rush University
2010, 2011Graduate Research Associate Award, Ohio State University
2009Honors Distinction Award, Ohio State University
2006-2009Dean’s List, Ohio State University
- Behery OA, Shing EZ, Yu Z, Springer BD, Fehring TK, Otero JE. Survivorship and Radiographic Evaluation of Metaphyseal Cones With Short Cemented Stems in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2021 Nov 3:S0883-5403(21)00832-9. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2021.10.027. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34742873.
- Behery OA, Kouk S, Meftah M, Tejwani NC. Total Hip Arthroplasty for Femoral Neck Fracture in the Setting of Challenging Extraction of an Intramedullary Femoral Nail: A Case Report. J Orthop Case Rep. 2020 Dec;10(9):85-89. doi: 10.13107/jocr.2020.v10.i09.1914. PMID: 34169024
- Behery OA, Narayanan R, Konda SR, Tejwani NC, Egol KA. Posterior Malleolar Fixation Reduces the Incidence of Trans-Syndesmotic Fixation in Rotational Ankle Fracture Repair. Iowa Orthop J. 2021;41(1):121-125. PMID: 34552413
- Alex Tang BS, Omar A Behery MD MPH, Vivek Singh, David Yeroushalmi, Roy Davidovitch MD, Ran Schwarzkopf MD. Do Physical Activity and Sleep Correlate with Patient-Reported Outcomes in Total Hip Arthroplasty? J Hip Surg. June 2021. DOI: 10.1055/s-0041-1729764
- Behery OA, Clair AJ, Long WJ, Deshmukh A, Schwarzkopf R. Cementless Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty Will this be the Future? Bull Hosp Jt Dis (2013). 2021 Mar;79(1):6-10. PMID: 33704031.
- Haskel JD, Lin CC, Kaplan DJ, Dankert JF, Merkow D, Crespo AM, Behery OA, Ganta A, Konda SR. Hip Fracture Volume Does Not Change at a New York City Level 1 Trauma Center During a Period of Social Distancing. Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation. January 2020. doi:10.1177/2151459320972674
- Behery OA, Mandel J, Solasz SJ, Konda SR, Egol KA. Patterns and Implications of Early Syndesmotic Screw Failure in Rotational Ankle Fractures. Foot Ankle Int. 2020 Sep;41(9):1065-1072. doi: 10.1177/1071100720935119. Epub 2020 Jul 21. PMID: 32691617.
- Dankert JF, Lott A, Haskel JD, Behery OA, Crespo A, Ganta A, Konda SR. (2020) Challenges Associated with Caring for the Elderly Hip Fracture Patient at the Epicenter of the COVID-19 Outbreak in the United States: A Case Report. Ann Med &Surg Case Rep: AMSCR-100057. May 8 th , 2020.
- Konda SR, Dankert JF, Merkow D, et al. COVID-19 Response in the Global Epicenter: Converting a New York City Level 1 Orthopedic Trauma Service into a Hybrid Orthopedic and Medicine COVID-19 Management Team. J Orthop Trauma. 2020;34(8):411-417. doi:10.1097/BOT.0000000000001792
- Behery OA, Vasquez-Montes D, Cizmic Z, Vigdorchik JM, Buckland AJ. Can Flexed-Seated and Single-Leg Standing Radiographs Be Useful in Preoperative Evaluation of Lumbar Mobility in Total Hip Arthroplasty? J Arthroplasty. 2020;S0883-5403(20)30283-7.
- Roach RP, Clair AJ, Behery OA, Thakkar SC, Iorio R, Deshmukh AJ. Aseptic Loosening of Porous Metaphyseal Sleeves and Tantalum Cones in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Systematic Review. J Knee Surg. 2020. ;10.1055/s-0040-1701434. doi:10.1055/s-0040- 1701434
- Behery OA, Long WJ. The Prevalence of Elevated-Rim Polyethyelene Liner Use in Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty in the New York State Metropolitan Area. Arthroplasty Today Nov 2019. 5 (4), 486-488.
- Horn SR, Bortz CA, Ramachandran S, Poorman GW, Segreto F, Siow M, Sure A,Vasquez- Montes D, Diebo B, Tishelman J, Moon J, Zhou P, Beaubrun B, Vira S, Jalai C, Wang C, Shenoy K, Behery O, Errico T, Lafage V, Buckland A, Passias PG. Suboptimal Age-Adjusted Lumbo-Pelvic Mismatch Predicts Negative Cervical-Thoracic Compensation in Obese Patients. Int J Spine Surg. 2019 Jun 30;13(3):252-261.
- Schwarzkopf R, Behery OA, Yu H, Suter LG, Li L, Horwitz, LI. Patterns and Costs of 90- Day Readmission for Surgical and Medical Complications Following Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2019 Jun 1. PMID: 31279598
- Rezzadeh, K, Behery, OA, Kester, BS, Dogra,T, Vigdorchik, JM, Schwarzkopf, R. Patellofemoral Arthroplasty: Short-Term Complications and Risk Factors. J Knee Surg. 2019 May 23. Doi: 10.1055/s-0039-1688960.
- Mandel J, Behery OA, Narayanan R, Konda SR, Egol KA. Single- vs 2-Screw Lag Fixation of the Medial Malleolus in Unstable Ankle Fractures. Foot Ankle Int.2019 Apr 11 :1071100719840995. doi: 10.1177/1071100719840995. PubMed PMID: 30971114.
- Behery OA, Suchman KI, Paoli AR, Luthringer TA, Campbell KA, Bosco JA. What are the prevalence and risk factors for repeat ipsilateral knee arthroscopy? Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2019 Jan 17. doi: 10.1007/s00167-019-05348-y. PubMed PMID: 30656373.
- Pepper AM, Mercuri JJ, Behery OA, Vigdorchik JM. Hip and Knee Arthroplasty Perioperative Pain Management: What Should Be In the Cocktail? J Bone and Joint Surg Rev 2018. Dec 18; doi: 10.2106/JBJS.RVW.18.00023. PMID: 30562208
- Suchman KI, Behery OA, Mai DH, Anil U, Bosco JA. The Demographic and Geographic Trends of Meniscal Procedures in New York State: An Analysis of 765,144 Subjects Over 13 Years. J Bone and Joint Surg 2018. Sep 19;100(18):1581-1588. PMID: 30234622
- Rezzadeh, K, Behery, OA, Kester, BS, Long, WJ, Schwarzkopf, R. The Effect of Total Knee Arthroplasty on Physical Activity and Body Mass Index: An Analysis of the Osteoarthritis Initiative Cohort. Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation 2019. https://doi.org/10.1177/2151459318816480.
- Behery OA, Feder OI, Beutel BG, Godfried DH. Combined Tibial Tubercle Fracture and Patellar Tendon Avulsion: Surgical Technique and Case Report. Journal of Orthopaedic Case Reports 2018. May-June: 8 (3):18-22. DOI: 10.13107/jocr.2250-0685.1090. PMID 30584509
- Luthringer TA, Elbuluk AM, Behery OA, Cizmic Z, Deshmukh AJ. Salvage of Failed Internal Fixation of Intertrochanteric Hip Fractures: Clinical and Functional Outcomes of Total Hip Arthroplasty Versus Hemiarthroplasty. Arthroplasty Today 2018 Jul 10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.artd.2018.06.002
- Behery OA, Dai AZ, McLaurin TM. Posttraumatic Heterotopic Ossification of the Hip. J Orthop Trauma. 2018 Aug;32 Suppl 1:S18-S19.PMID: 29985897.
- Behery OA, Vigdorchik JM, Buckland AJ, Macaulay W. Lumbar Spinal Stiffness Overshadows Polythylene Wear: A Modern Explanation for Late Dislocation in Total Hip Arthroplasty. Orthopedics and Rheumatology 2018 May 30. DOI:10.19080/OROAJ.2018.12.555826
- Alosh H, Behery OA, Levine BR. Radiographic Predictors of Patient Satisfaction Following Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty. Bull Hosp Jt Dis (2013). 2018 Jun;76(2):105-111. PubMed PMID: 29799369
- Behery OA, Kester BS, Kouk S, Schwarzkopf R, Vigdorchik JM. Computer Navigation Assisted Total Hip Arthroplasty: Use and Outcomes Compared with Conventional Technique. J Hip Surg. 2018 April. DOI: 10.1055/s-0038-1646934
- Kouk S, Kester BS, Behery OA, Vigdorchik JM, Schwarzkopf R. Comparison of Mortality and 30-Day Complication Rates for Patients Undergoing Fixation versus Revision Arthroplasty after Periprosthetic Fractures of the Hip and Knee. J Hip Surg. 2018 April. DOI: 10.1055/s-0038-1646935
- Horn SR, Dhillon ES, Poorman GW, Tishelman JC, Segreto FA, Bortz CA, Moon JY, Behery, OA, Shepard N, Diebo BG, Vira S, Passias PG. Epidemiology and national trends in prevalence and surgical management of metastatic spinal disease. J Clin Neurosci. 2018 Apr 19 pii: S0967-5868(18)30271-6.
- Behery OA, Kouk S, Chen KK, Mullaly KA, Bosco JA, Slover JD, Iorio R, Schwarzkopf R. Skilled Nursing Facility Partnerships May Decrease 90-Day Costs in a Total Joint Arthroplasty Episode Under the Bundled Payments for Care Improvement Initiative. J Arthroplasty. 2018 Mar;33(3):639-642. PubMed PMID: 29128234.
- Behery OA, Deshmukh A. Comparing the Risk of Early Failure in THA by Surgical Approach. ICJR: NYU Journal Watch. 2017. September 24th.
- Konda SR, Kester BS, Fisher N, Behery OA, Crespo AM, Egol KA. Acute Compartment Syndrome of the Leg. J Orthop Trauma. 2017 Aug;31 Suppl 3:S17-S18. PubMed PMID: 28697076
- Minhas SV, Williams J, Kester BS, Behery OA, Bosco, JA. Understanding Orthopaedic Surgery Industry Alignment and Financial Relationships Through the Sunshine Act. Management in Healthcare. 2017, Mar;1(4): 379-388.
- Behery OA, Kearns SM, Rabinowitz JM, Levine BR. Cementless vs Cemented Tibial Fixation in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2016 Dec 22. pii: S0883- 5403(16)30908-1. PubMed PMID: 28082042.
- Behery OA, Kester BS, Williams J, Bosco JA, Slover JD, Iorio R, Schwarzkopf R. Patterns of Ninety-Day Readmissions Following Total Joint Replacement in a Bundled Payment Initiative. J Arthroplasty. 2016 Nov 1. pii: S0883-5403(16)30755-0. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2016.10.027.PubMed PMID: 27890309.
- Kester BS, Behery OA, Minhas SV, Hsu WK. Athletic performance and career longevity following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in the National Basketball Association. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2017 Oct;25(10):3031-3037. doi: 10.1007/s00167- 016-4060-y. Epub 2016 Mar 12. PubMed PMID: 26971105.
- Behery OA, Foucher KC. Are Harris hip scores and gait mechanics related before and after THA? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014 Nov;472(11):3452-61. PubMed PMID: 25138471
- Behery OA, Siston RA, Harris JD, Flanigan DC. Treatment of cartilage defects of the knee: expanding on the existing algorithm. Clin J Sport Med. 2014 Jan;24(1):21-30. PubMed PMID: 24157464.
- Behery OA, Harris JD, Karnes JM, Siston RA, Flanigan DC. Factors influencing the outcome of autologous chondrocyte implantation: a systematic review. J Knee Surg. 2013 Jun;26(3):203-11. PubMed PMID: 23288737.